Thursday, December 14, 2006

Saint John of the Cross

Today is the memorial of Saint John of the Cross, priest and doctor of the Church. Although he is one of my most cherished saints, I cannot find time to write an article for him this time as I am still struggling with my Philosophy Synthesis paper, as well as three exams over today and tomorrow. Instead, I give to you a few lines from the third stanza of one of his spiritual masterpieces, The Spiritual Canticle, and for your music, Dan Schutte's Holy Darkness based also on his writings, both of which are particularly suited for the season of Advent:

Seeking my Love
I will head for the mountains and for watersides,
I will not gather flowers,
nor fear wild beasts;
I will go beyond strong men and frontiers.

Saint John of the Cross, pray for us!


<bgsound src="http://www.tc.umn.edu/~sorem002/holy_darkness.mid" loop="infinite">